5 Main Causes of Gynecomastia
Table of Contents
Even if it embarrassing, some men indeed experience breast enlargement which is known as Gynecomastia. There are numbers of treatment available for the condition such as medication, home remedies, topical treatment, and even surgery. But, before choosing the right treatment; it is important to figure out the main cause of Gynecomastia.
Natural hormone changes
The development and also maintenance of sex characteristic for women and men is controlled by testosterone and estrogen hormones. The testosterone hormones in charge of male traits development such as body hair and muscle mass. While the estrogen hormone controls the female traits such as breast development.
Most of us may think that estrogen-only exclusively available in women; in fact, men also produce the estrogen hormone even though in a small amount. If the estrogen production in men is too high or more than the normal amount it causes hormones imbalance which leads to gynecomastia.
Basically, gynecomastia can affect three different age levels.
- In infants – for more than half male infants are actually born with the enlarged breast because of the estrogen effect from the mother. This swollen breast condition can naturally go away in 2 or 3 weeks after birth.
- During puberty – hormone changes because of puberty can be considered as a common condition. The breast development during puberty usually can go away with six months or two years of treatment.
- In adult – the most common issues of gynecomastia happen in adults age 50 to 80. During the age span, almost 1 out of 4 men in the age group is affected. This can be caused by the reduction of testosterone hormone.
Medications side effects
Medication side effects can also be the main cause of breast development in men. According to study, for about 10 to 25 percent cases of Gynecomastia are associated with medications use. The common medications that potentially trigger breast enlargement in men are:
- Calcium blocker medication to treat heart condition can also trigger gynecomastia.
- AIDS medications – men with HIV-positive who receive regimen treatment which is called HAART or highly active antiretroviral therapy and Evafirenz are associated with gynecomastia compared to other medications.
- Anti-anxiety medications are also associated with the breast enlargement. This also includes street drugs and alcohol usages such as amphetamines, heroin, methadone, marijuana, and the like.
- Certain shampoos, shower gels, soaps, and lotions which contain tea tree, lavender, or other plant oils as well as herbs can also responsible for the development of main boobs. You may want to consider replacing the body care products.
- Anabolic steroids – prolonged or regular use of steroids for numbers of reasons such as body building can inhibit the testosterone production which then leads to breast enlargement.
Other health conditions
Certain health conditions can also cause Gynecomastia because it affects the balance of the hormones. The conditions include:
- Hypogonadism – conditions which interfere the production of normal testosterone can lead to gynecomastia.
- Kidney failure – for almost half of people who receive regular hemodialysis also experience breast enlargement because of the hormonal changes.
- Tumors – certain kinds of tumors such as adrenal glands, testes, or pituitary gland can produce the hormone which actually alters the balance of male-female hormone.
- Starvation and malnutrition – when your body does not receive the adequate amount of nutrients, the testosterone levels will drop while the estrogen level will remain in the same amount. This condition leads to a hormonal imbalance in which the estrogen is higher than the testosterone that cause gynecomastia.
Especially for overweight men, hormone changing may occur on normal aging condition which also causes breast enlargement. The age increasing is inversely proportional to the declining production of testosterone. Such condition can cause breast tissue enlargement.
These days most of us cannot separate from poultry products. The fact is many poultry products including chicken and eggs contain numbers of hormones. Too much consumption of these products can lead to breast enlargement in both men and women. The development can even lead to cancer as well.